This instructions are specific to Standard subscribers. The instructions for Plus/Premium subscriptions can be found here - and cover additional tools that are shared by Online Auctions, Mobile Bidding, Voting Contests and Virtual Events.
The software has two tools to help drive supporters to your online catalog and to allow the general public to place online bids:
Invitations to Bid can be emailed to any User Record with an email address.
- Returning customers can migrate their User records from previous event site(s), and all customers can upload a spreadsheet of potential supporters.
- Once User records are in the software, you can send Invitations to Bid to any or all Users.
- Each invitation contains a token. When the user clicks on the link/token, they are automatically logged in to their account, and brought to a Welcome page - where they can choose an online bidding name, and vault a credit card (if requested or required) - before continuing to the online catalog to browse and place bids.
- The message text is editable, and two templates are provided so separate messages for initial and follow-up invitations can be retained.
- Invitations can be sent multiple times, if desired.
Signup to Bid buttons provide access to participants that can't be sent invitations because they don't have user records on your event site. Signup buttons are displayed in the catalog and homepage (optional). In addition, a signup link displays on the navigation bar at the top of every screen. Note: Signup buttons and link only display for users that are not already logged in and ready to bid.
- Anyone that finds your site on their own (or, more likely, through links you have provided) can peruse the catalog and use the Signup to Bid button when they are ready to create an account to place bids.
- Be aware that if your supporters already have user records (migrated, imported, donors, ticketed guests etc) you'll want to send them invitations to bid rather than direct them to use the sign up buttons. Because they already have a user record, the software will recognize their email address and redirect them to login or retrieve the invitation (sent automatically) from their inbox to gain access.
- Button text can be edited as desired.
- If you don't want the general public to participate, you can restrict bidding to users with invitations or ticketed guests only with a single setting change. Choosing either of the Restrict Bidding options automatically removes the Signup to Bid buttons.
To preview the Signup process
We recommend testing it out for yourself on our Mobile Bidding Demo site. The signup process differs based on whether one already has an existing user record on the site (matching email) so be sure to test it both ways:
- Make sure you are not logged in so the signup options display for you.
- Click on Signup, then Enter your email.
- Since your email won't be recognized, the form for new users will display - proceed as directed.
- When done, log out and begin again: Click on Signup, then enter your email.
- Your email will be recognized - proceed as directed.
To Setup Bidding Access:
Go To: Admin > Site Settings > Online Auction > Signup and Invitations.