This is a feature, not a bug. This pop-up message displays when a matching buyer record exists to prevent duplicate user records AND to protect personal information from online online identity thieves.
If this feature were to be disabled, each transaction that triggers it would instead create a duplicate user record. Potential consequences of duplicate records:
- Your supporters can end up with different accounts/carts for online/mobile vs ticket/gala purchases.
- Your supporters can end up bidding against themselves.
- Your supporters can end up with some orders with vaulted credit card available, and others without.
This feature simply directs the user to retrieve the email waiting in their inbox to continue, which validates ownership of the email account. PCI requirements (and common sense) prevents the software from autofilling the recognized user without this validation, otherwise, online identity thieves would be able to gain access to personal information using only a publicly available email address.
You can minimize the necessity of this redirect by sending invitations to buy tickets and/or to bid. If you do not want to utilize the invitation system, you should bulk delete the users you migrated and/or imported to the event site.
How the feature works:
1. All Subscribers can now Email invitations to buy tickets to selected users. The link/token within the invitation navigates to the Online ticket page and populates the Buyer fields with the info in their User Record, which they can then confirm, edit, and/or complete.
2. If ticket buyers navigate to your site without an invitation, but already have an account, their email will be recognized and an invitation automatically sent to their email address. The invitation provides them with immediate access to complete their ticket purchase, using their existing account.
3. If someone buys a ticket for a guest with the same name as an existing account, their transaction will continue normally, but a new user record will be created for their guest (for security reasons, this protects everyone's personal information online). When this occurs, the automated notification message sent to the designated person on your team will contain an alert:
IMPORTANT: For security reasons, this transaction may have created duplicate user records for some of Mary Smith's guests. Please review the following Users and merge duplicate records as necessary:
Mary Jane Doe: 1 probable duplicate record.
4. To prevent triggering automatic invitations to matching emails, Users with Chair/Admin/Volunteer roles are now blocked from entering tickets on the public form and must enter tickets on the internal form at Tickets > Sell A Ticket. (This has always been best practice.)
Article is closed for comments.