These instructions are specifically for WePay customers. WePay has unique test transaction requirements. If you are using a credit card gateway other than WePay, see general instructions for testing your credit card processing here.
Nothing brings peace of mind like a successful test transaction with a valid credit card!
There are several ways to conduct a live transaction test - this method is the simplest because it requires no set-up other than credit card processing.
Add New User:
Note - The person who set up the WePay account cannot conduct the test (or make future cc payments). WePay's fraud filters will reject transactions that include the email and/or name (on cc) used to setup the WePay account - their AI flags and blocks such transactions as potential money laundering or unauthorized "withdrawals".
Enter the cardholder's actual name (see Note in image above), zip code, and valid email address, then click Generate Order button.
Click on Add Cash Donation button in Purchases section:
- Enter a Custom Amount of $20 *Note: WePay retroactively fails test transactions for small amounts. If the first transaction made on your site fails, WePay may not authenticate your gateway. Entering a $20 donation helps ensure that WePay won't block the authentication of your gateway. You can refund the full $20 to the test buyer after the test transaction funds have deposited in your bank account (usually about 24 hours).
- Click Continue
Complete Payment Form:
Click on Add Payment button to display Payment form:
- The payment form will include any fields your gateway requires for cc transactions (WePay requires valid email + zip code)
- Enter valid credit card information
- Make sure "Store card in vault for future purchases" box is checked
- Submit Payment
- Input a valid email that is different from the one used to setup the WePay account.
- Zip code must match cc billing address.
- Name must match card and cannot match the one used to setup the WePay account.
- Test amount must be $20 or more.
Review Payment Status:
Status of the payment will display in payment section.
If the credit card transaction is successful - you're good to go.
If the transaction failed, click the info icon to view the error code and/or explanation and review the troubleshooting tips if necessary.
Follow to Bank Deposit
Verify that the funds are deposited to your bank account (typically takes 24 hours).
Refund the Test Transaction
Once you've confirmed that funds were deposited in your bank account, you should test the refund process by returning and refunding the test donation.
On your Orders page, find and open the test transaction order. Follow these instructions to refund the payment.