For use in rare circumstances when you do not want online bidders to know who is bidding on an item OR what the current high bid is AND/OR you need to retain the ability to award the item to an "approved" winner.
To set up an item for closed bidding:
Go to Catalog > Add or Edit Item
1. Only type Silent is eligible for closed bidding.
2. Must be sold in Online Auction
3. Select Options tab
4. Check the box to set-up item for secret bidding.
Admin view and to designate the winner:
Go to Catalog > click on Item Name to view detail page:
1. Admin views the highest bid for each bidder (by User name, not online handle).
2. Click on Make Winner button to send notification to winner.
The Administrator can see all bids and reward more than one if there is sufficient quantity (since online silent items require qty = 1, this would require adding quantity after designating and processing each winner)