There are five ways to issue tickets:
Send Invitations to Buy Tickets to your known supporters:
- Best option for combination Gala/Online/Mobile events as guests can be invited to both buy tickets and bid without having to create/remember logins and passwords.
- Invitations provide a personal link to the Online Ticket form, with the user's personal information pre-populating the buyer fields.
- Requires User Records with email addresses for potential users (can be migrated from a past event site or uploaded from a spreadsheet).
- Best option when contact information for potential guests is unknown or cannot be uploaded/imported into the software.
- Most efficient when credit card payments can be processed online (recording check/cash payments as they arrive negate the staff time saved by selling online)
Enter Internally (from RSVP/Order forms):
- Most often used to issue complimentary Sponsor and/or Volunteer tickets.
- Since guests do not have an opportunity to create a password when their ticket is issued, access to their account is limited to the links provided in emailed invitations to Advance Check-in, Online/Mobile Bidding and/or Self Check-out.
- If the majority of tickets will be entered manually, migrating (from previous event site) or importing (from a spreadsheet) potential guest data can reduce data entry.
Import Ticketed Guests:
- Most often used when tickets have already been sold outside of the software OR to pre-load $0 tickets for potential guests at free events.
- Often easier to enter complicated tickets manually than to prepare the data in a spreadsheet for import. Plan to to import existing individual/couple tickets and manually enter table tickets.
- If less than 50 tickets have been sold, it is usually faster and easier to manually enter the tickets than to prepare a spreadsheet for import.
- Multiple imports are fraught with potential problems so once an import is complete, additional tickets must be issued online, internally or at check-in.
Sell At Check-in:
- Recommended for incidental sales only. Issuing the bulk of your tickets in a noisy, chaotic environment is difficult and often results in long check-in lines.
Many events use a combination of the above to issue tickets. Most common: Majority of tickets are purchased via Invitation to Buy Tickets or directly Online; Sponsor and Volunteer are entered internally, and a few tickets are available at Check-in for unexpected guests.