The built in mail merge feature can be used to generate personalized (hardcopy) letters for use in procurement and/or thanking your supporters.
Notes: If you are skilled at using Mail Merge, you may want to download the data and use a more robust mail merge tool to take advantage of advanced tools not available in the software's easy-to-use mail merge function.
Sample letters are provided as a reference point and can be used as is, edited to suit your needs, or ignored altogether.
Some users who want to include a header/letterhead have had success by entering the appropriate number of returns at the very top of the top address block to move the entire letter down on the printed page.
To preview and/or edit one of the sample mail merge documents:
Go to Admin > Print Materials > Mail Merges
1. Clicking on existing Mail Merge displays a dropdown menu of choices:
2. Generate document will run the merge and produce the letters in a single Word document which allows individual letters to be edited as needed. It takes only a few seconds to "run" the merge so it's easy to preview sample letters as well as previewing how new edits will appear.
3. Address labels will be generated in the same order as the letters, and formatted for Avery 5160 or 5260 labels.
4. Export as CSV to format address label data for labels other than Avery 5160 or 5260.
5. Edit letter content, mail merge tags, and/or data sets (which data group to receive letter etc).
6. Delete Mail Merge document.
To create a new mail merge document:
Go to Admin > Print Materials > Mail Merges > New Mail Merge
1. Create a Name for your Mail Merge (once saved, this document/name will be added to the Mail Merges Menu)
2. Description may spell out precisely who the letter is intended for and why, along with dates sent etc.
3. Choose the dataset for the group you wish to receive the letter
The following fields are available for merging:
date = [date]
first name = [first_name]
last name = [last_name]
business name = [business_name]
name = [name] - (either the business name for the users full name)
contact person = [contact_person]
contact title = [contact_person_title]
school relationship = [relationship_to_school]
address = [address]
city = [city]
state = [state]
zip = [zip]
main phone = [phone_primary]
alt phone = [phone_secondary]
fax = [fax]
web address = [website]
main email = [email_primary]
alt email = [email_secondary]
main instant message = [im_primary]
alt instant message = [im_secondary]
a list of all of the items donated (and their price) if any [donation_items]
list of items donated without prices = [items_list]
list of items donated, on one line = [items_commas]
total value of donation = [donor_total_sum]
total amount purchased by guest = [guest_total_sum]
total fair market value of guest purchase = [fmv_total]
5. Save your letter, then click on Generate Document to preview.