For Gala Auctions Only. (Item numbers are incidental to Online Auctions.)
Item numbers are generated when items are initially created.
Note that each item is assigned TWO numbers:
- Tracking Number (begins with T) which is assigned by order entered and cannot be changed. Use this number to track your physical items.
- Item Number which is assigned by type (eg. live, silent, signup). This number can be edited at the end of your procurement process, if desired, to reflect where and when the item will be sold during your gala.
Near the end of your procurement process, you may want to assess your final item mix to:
- Make final decisions on which items to offer in the Live auction
- Combine items into baskets or lots
- Identify items to designate as prizes for raffles or games (such as balloon pops)
- Decide whether to have multiple tables/closing times for silent items
Each lot is assigned a new item number when it is initially created, and item numbers are removed from individual items within the lot, so create lots before editing item numbers.
Then you can decide whether you need to reorganize/renumber your items using the Tables feature.
Laying out silent items in numerical order has two advantages:
- It makes it easier for the set-up crew to place items on their assigned tables, in their assigned order, and match them with the correct bid and description sheets.
- It allows bidders to note and return to items they are bidding on by item number rather than by general location.
Whether items are in numerical vs. random order is a non-factor when recording sales within the software.
If your silent auction is small and/or you decide to have a single table/closing time, you can use the table feature and simply drop and drag the items into the desired order.
If you have multiple tables/closing times, but don't care about item order, you can use table signage and announcements to indicate when tables are closing instead of reordering/renumbering items. Just be sure to edit your bid sheets so they don't display the table name or closing time.