To enter items for any "game" with a fixed price where each buyer receives a "prize" of varying value.
1. Add/Edit the Prize items
If you haven't already, enter or edit the prizes as items (type = sellable) so you can
- track the donation,
- thank the donor and,
- if desired, place the prize in the respective winner's cart.
2. Create Raffle item to sell "chances"Add a fixed price item (type = raffle) with appropriate quantity to sell as tickets to participate.
3. Decide whether to record Sales/Prizes specifically or generically.
There are tax implications for how you decide to "sell" Wine Wall or Balloon Pop items (which we express no opinion on).
Option A: Do not record prize winners. Hand the prize to the winner. This method provides no documentation to buyers for potential tax deduction (if prize has FMV < ticket price) or "gambling earnings" (if prize has FMV > ticket price).
- Bulk Edit all prize items to "Public? = No" so they do not appear in the public catalog.
Option B: Record Prizes won. This method provides documentation on the guests' receipts for tax purposes. It is most commonly used to provide documentation to winners of high value prizes.
- Track and enter sales of raffle ticket chances, then track and "sell" prizes to winners for $0.
- You can bulk edit prize items to Visible to Public = No if you don't want to display them in the catalog.