These instructions cover the setup tasks specific to creating a page to accept pledges for "athon" events. You can find illustrated instructions for setting up the elements shared by all fundraising campaigns here.
Set-up specific to Pledge (Athon) events:
- Providing an option to pledge a set amount, regardless of participant's "results"
- Creating items for pledge levels (eg $1 per X) and/or
- Choosing immediate vs delayed payment processing
- Adding custom fields to allow supporters to specify which participant they are supporting.
- Providing information on when pledges will be calculated (if variable) and payments processed/collected.
Tips: If you'd like to see how a page can be used for an "Athon" event, you can view (and test) the example below on our Demo site.
Note: Creating individual donation pages for each participant is not currently supported, but creating separate fundraising campaigns for each grade level or classroom allows unique messaging/pledge options AND the "after-event" payment calculation and processing to be shared among a larger team.
1. Providing an Option to Pledge Fixed Amount:
As always, when creating a fundraising page, you can choose to add an existing cash donation option or use a basic form to create a new option.
Note: Advanced tools (for customizing the "ask" text) only display on the Edit screen so you must create and save your fundraising page first.
- If you are only offering a single cash donation option, the NAME does not display on the public form.
- To display an custom amount field only (as shown in the image above), clear all suggested amounts to leave field blank and check the box to "allow custom amounts."
2. Creating Items for "Per X" Pledge Levels:
It's important to create "items" (not cash donation options) for "per x" pledge levels because post-event, you'll need to update each pledge order to reflect the number of books read, laps run etc. With items, you can simply edit the qty sold to calculate the amount owed.
- Create a New Fixed Price item for each pledge level.
- For the best display, do not include the $ increment in the Item Name (the price displays automatically)
- Choose a really big number for Quantity to avoid have pledge levels "sell out".
3. Choosing Immediate vs Delayed Payment Processing
If you are collecting "per X" pledges: you must change your credit card payment processing to "Manually charge pledges after event". This setting will vault the donors credit card, allowing you to manually calculate and process the charge for the correct amount after the "athon" finishes.
If you are collecting cash donations for a set amount only, it is far less work for your team to process credit card payments at the time of donation.
4. Adding Custom Fields
Custom Fields can be added to the donation form to allow supporters to specify which participant their pledge is supporting.
Currently, Custom fields must be created at Site Settings > Customize Your Site > Custom Fields. The Create New and Edit links shown below will redirect you to this page.
Once Custom fields have been created on the event site, you can add them to the desired Fundraising Campaign(s):
- Go to: Edit Campaign > Admin > Advanced Settings after your campaign has been initially saved and created.
- Click on the Choose Existing Custom Field button.
- Select the desired Field Group (all Custom Fields Groups that are flagged to Display for Buyers > Fundraising Campaigns will appear in the dropdown menu.)
- Click Add to Form button.
Remember, you can visit our demo site and login as user = chair, pw = chair to view exactly how the custom fields shown below are set-up.
5. Customizing the Confirmation Email sent after each transaction.
The confirmation template is "smart" in that the default template includes a merge tag in the body that provides the appropriate payment block of text for each transaction made.
If the campaign is in "pledge mode" (payments will be processed manually after the event), the payment block simply says: "Payments will be processed and/or collected after the event concludes."
You can provide additional details about how and when pledges will be calculated and payment processed/collected by editing the confirmation email. Provide your custom text after the [give_page_payment_details] merge tag in the body of the message.
If you're using the Crowdfund template, you also have the option to post an update to recap the event and to let supporters know when pledges will be calculated and processed and that receipts will be emailed. All donors that have opted in to receive updates will be emailed an alert and link to the update.