Once your event has concluded, you'll want to shutter the site to the public. You'll want to retain the event site for reporting purposes and historical reference, but you can take the steps illustrated below to prevent public access and safeguard sensitive information.
1. Place a Thank You Note on the Homepage
Go to Site Settings > Customize Your Site > Look & Feel > Homepage
3. Discourage Search engines from crawling old items and donors
Go to: Site Settings > Customize Your Site > General > Advanced Settings
4. Purge Vaulted Guest Credit Card Data
Go to: Site Settings > Customize Your Site > Payments/Credit Card > Additional Credit Card Settings (requires User account with Chair role)
5. Contact your Gateway and Merchant Account provider to discuss suspending your accounts.
Note: WePay.com users can skip this step as WePay.com does does not charge monthly fees.
If you are certain you will not use a credit card account again until next year, it may make sense for you to suspend/inactivate/turn off your gateway and merchant account.
Before deciding, be aware:
- That BOTH the gateway and the merchant account must be suspended to avoid monthly fees,
- Of any fees associated with suspending and reactivating BOTH accounts.
Also - be sure to document and share all of the information that will be needed to reactivate the accounts to avoid future headaches for yourself or your successor.