There are several ways to record multiple donors - the easiest method for item entry will require more effort when acknowledging donors and vice-versa.
1. Create a faux item for each donor and then create a lot:
+ Makes thank you letters easier to generate and donation values more accurate.
+ Allows any of the multiple donors to give other Items without creating a duplicate Donor record.
- Downside: takes extra time to create multiple donors and items and then join them into a Lot.
1. Create a faux item for each Donor (not shown).
2. Create a lot with the faux items.
3. Edit the Lot Item name, description, and details to reflect the actual item to be auctioned.
2. Create a joint donor, then add a single Item that the donor gave:
+ Simpler because you're creating a single donor record and a single item.
- Downside system generated thank you letters and lists will require manual editing if one wants to thank donors individually regardless of their joint gift.
1. Create a Donor record which lists all donors in the business name field.
2. Create an Item and select the group as the donor.
3. Create a joint donor with a generic name, then add a single item:
+ Best used where a group is producing a signup/easel item/event.
- Only way to publicly acknowledge donors is in the item description.
- Downside: System generated thank you letters and lists will require manual editing if one wants to thank donors individually.
1. Create a generic name for donor record.
2. Create item, choosing generic donor name and listing actual donor names in the item description.