The Mail Merge tool is a simple way to generate letters using the data you have already entered to assist in procurement, sending invitations, sending thank you letters to donors or guests etc.
To edit sample Thank You letter:
Go to Admin > Print Materials > Mail Merges > Sample Thank you letter > Edit
Understanding the parts of a mail merge letter:
Parts of the Letter
1 & 2. Name and description for internal use: purpose and audience for the mailing.
3. What subset from the database will this letter be sent to? Choose the database of recipients.
4. Who is the letter from? This data will remain constant across letters.
5. Name and address of recipients. Mail merge tags pull contact info from database.
6. Salutation with name pulled from database.
7. Enter the body of the letter incorporating available merge tags/fields where desired. You can view a list of the available merge tags in the body of the Sample Mail Merge template provided (Sample Mail Merge > Edit)
8. Closing and Signature.
9. Save your changes.
Generating your mailing:
1. Click on Generate Document to preview your letters using the defined format/dataset/merge tags. Once generated, the individual letters can be edited if data provided via merge tag doesn't work and/or to add custom text to a particular letter. To make additional changes to the document format, return to the Mail Merges menu and select Edit again.
2. Click on Generate Address labels to produce labels using Avery 5160 or 5260 formatting.
3. Export as CSV to generate labels in a format other than Avery 5160 or 5260.