Use the optional Credit Card Offset Fee feature to add and collect a surcharge on credit card payments to offset the processing costs. (The Offset is not electronically connected to the actual credit card fees charged by your merchant account but are set by you as a means of reimbursement for the fees banks charge. Do not expect an exact accounting match.)
The offset fee cannot be required as a condition of sale but can be set as the default choice, requiring action to opt out (ask, default on).
The feature can be configured to:
- Add a flat fee and/or calculate a % of the total charge
- Display with the desired text for the "ask" or explanation of fee on the payment form
- Display with the desired fee "name" on receipts
Go to Site Settings > Customize Your Site > Payments/Credit Card > Additional Credit Card Settings (requires Chair status to access).
Before setting up your Credit Card Offset fee, make sure you read and understand the "Important! Please Read!" notice that pops up on the set up screen:
Note: When choosing Offset Mode:
- Ask - Default On works well for online transactions where buyers can see the "Ask" and are responsible for unchecking the box to opt out.
- For payments handled in person, it is better to choose Ask - Default Off to avoid inadvertently charging offset fees without consent, if the volunteer/staff person forgets to ask.
- You can change the Offset Mode, but NOT the offset fees specified as an edit midstream.