This article covers surcharges for Essentials, Plus, and Professional subscribers. If you have an Acorn subscription, see instructions for offsetting your processing fees here.
Use the optional Offset Fee Processing feature to add and collect a surcharge on credit card payments to offset the processing costs.
The offset fee cannot be required as a condition of sale but can be set as the default choice, requiring action (unchecking a box) to opt out.
The feature can be configured to:
- Add a flat fee and/or calculate a % of the total charge
- Display with the desired text for the "ask" or explanation of fee on the payment form
- Display with the desired fee "name" on receipts
Note: The Offset is not electronically connected to the actual credit card fees charged by your merchant account but are set by you as a means of reimbursement for the fees banks charge. Do not expect an exact accounting match.
Go to Site Settings > Customize Your Site > Payments/Credit Card > Additional Credit Card Settings (requires Chair status to access).
Before specifying up your Offset fee:
Be aware that once a transaction (test or real) including offset fees has been processed on your site, those fees are "locked in" and can no longer be edited. Click the Help icons next to the offset fee fields for advice on determining the right offset fee for your organization.
Make sure you read and understand the "Important! Please Read!" notice that pops up on the set up screen:
Note: When choosing Offset Mode:
- Default - Yes works well for online transactions where buyers can see the "Ask" and are responsible for unchecking the box to opt out.
- For payments handled in person, it is better to choose Default - No to avoid inadvertently charging offset fees without consent, if the volunteer/staff person forgets to ask.
- You can change the Offset Mode, but NOT the offset fees specified as an edit midstream.