What You Need to Know:
- The available payment options display in a dropdown menu on each payment screen. You can control which payment methods are accepted for different transactions by specifying the payment methods in the site settings for each feature.
- It's most common to limit payment options for online transactions to credit cards and eChecks because these payments can be processed and recorded online automatically. If you want to allow your supporters to place "orders" online, but pay offline, you must set up a "Custom Payment" to provide instructions for how online buyers should provide/deliver payment to your organization, then your team will need to manually record the payment once it has been received.
- All references to "credit cards" within the software (and help documentation) refer to processing within the software (via a payment gateway.) Processing credit cards outside of the software (via Square, bank provided terminal etc) are referred to as "External" payments.
- A refund link is provided for all payments recorded in the software, but only payments processed within the software (credit cards and eChecks) are refunded automatically. Refunding monies from Check/Cash/External/Custom payments must be handled outside the software; the refund link will merely adjust the order and mark the order as refunded.
- TipTop subscriptions are limited to credit card processing for online transactions. Cash and Check payments can also be accepted for non-online transactions.
Credit cards can be processed trough the software using one of the supported internet payment gateways. Processing credit cards through the software allows cards to be vaulted for future charges and easy payment during online transactions and check-out after your event.
eChecks provide a secure, one-time direct transfer from a bank account for online transactions.
Checks can be accepted for any in-person transactions. An optional field is provided for noting the check number.
Cash can be accepted for any in-person transactions. In addition, you can also enable a feature to allow cash payments for incidentals (such as drinks or raffle tickets) during your gala event to allow guests to pay as they go rather than charging all purchases to their bidder number.
Custom Payment (Pay Later)
This is the option to provide if you do not want to require supporters to pay by credit card or eCheck in order to complete their online transaction. The name you've given the Custom Option will display in the dropdown menu (default = Pay Later). When selected, it will display the instructions you have provided for delivering an offline payment on the screen (and invoice) then allow the order to be completed with a "Waiting for Customer Payment" status. When you receive the offline payment, your team will need to record the check/cash/account payment on the order to make it paid/complete.
Custom payments are not available with Tip Top subscriptions.
When enabled, the External payment method is added to the dropdown menu on all payment screens used by your team to record offline payments processed outside the software (via Square, a bank provided terminal, debit to a school account etc). Adding an External payment to an order marks the order as paid and allows a receipt to be provided. An optional field is provided for adding a reference note.
External payments are not available with Tip Top subscriptions.
Pay at Event
This option is available for ticket sales only. It can be added to the payment options for online ticket sales for events with a tradition of rsvp'ing in advance, but paying for all purchases on the night of. Note: Pay at Event is always an available option for your team entering tickets internally.
Pay at Event for online ticket purchases is not available with Tip Top subscriptions.