These instructions are for events using a TV-style webcast: A charismatic team talks up the wonders of the item being offered, and sales (bidding) are live for a limited time. Items are set to close at scheduled times, and both the bidders and the auctioneer know the closing times. Before the first item closes, the auctioneer and emcee can start talking up the next item. And they can intersperse the selling of one item with updates on how bidding is going on the previous item.
If you are planning on Real Time style of webcast (essentially live auction bidding - just online), use these instructions.
Setting Up Online Bidding Groups for TV-style Webcast
Go to Admin > Site Settings > Online Auction / Mobile Bidding > Bidding Settings
- Create a separate Online Bidding Group for each of your Virtual Live Items, using the same name for the Item and Bidding Group.
- Use the same opening time for all (usually the time your broadcast begins, or slightly earlier).
- Stagger the closing times by 5-10 minute intervals. Note: the time picker on your site defaults to 15 minute increments - use the help widget to contact us and we can change it to 5 minute increments)
Even though you'll want to do your Special Appeal first, when you have the most viewers, there's no reason to close the bidding group/donation window right away. Leaving it open makes it easy for the auctioneer to make a last call for donations at the conclusion of the "live bidding" and/or for supporters to initiate additional donations if they didn't end up spending as much as they intended during the live portion.
Multiple Items at once
Go to Admin > View Reports > Online/Mobile Bidding Tab > Click on High Online Bids
- Click on the Customize button to add Online Handle column (and edit other column selections) if desired.
- Use the Online Bidding Group to select the bidding group to monitor.
- Enable auto-refresh (slider) to refresh the page every 5 seconds.
- Click on the Item Number (or any other) Column Header to sort the report by that column.
Go to Catalog (Admin gridview) > Click on Item Name to view Item Show page
Click on Bid History to view (bidding history refreshes about every 5 seconds when bidding is active, you can also refresh the page manually as needed.)
Paddle Raise Donations
Cash Donations can also be monitored from the Item Show page (same as individual items above) - the Contributors list displays in the lower right corner (in the order received). The contributors section refreshes every 15 seconds; you can also refresh the page manually as needed.
Closing Bidding and Awarding Items during TV style Webcasts
Because TV-Style uses separate online bidding groups with specified closing times, the bidding will close precisely at the specified time.
Items will be awarded based on your site's settings: If auto-closeout is enabled, the award process is automated - and will be placed in the high bidders carts 5-10 minutes after closing. If auto-close-out is disabled, items will remain "unsold"until auto-closeout is turned on - or items are manually awarded (see Real Time instructions below).
If you fall behind on your schedule and decide you need to extend bidding, you have two options:
- Auction Night > Extend Bidding will auto-extend ALL open online bidding groups by 10 minutes. If your site displays a button labeled Mobile Dashboard instead of Extend Bidding - use the Mobile Dashboard tools to adjust your closing times.
- Admin > Site Settings > Online Auction / Mobile Bidding > Bidding Settings > Edit individual online bidding group closing times as desired.