We are working on a built-in tool for automating Shipping/Handling charges that will allow you to pre-assign shipping costs to individual items (optional or required), Until then, this article provides instructions for manually adding/managing shipping/handling charges for supporters unable to pick up their purchases.
Add New Item in Catalog for Shipping/Handling Charges
Only the fields outlined in red are relevant:
- Name: Shipping/Handling
- Qty: enough to cover the orders that may require shipping
- Type: Sellable
- FMV: leave blank (when saved, this will display as N/A which forces FMV to equal Price on each order so Shipping fees won't display as "tax deductible") Note: blank FMV will only work on initial save of fixed price items. If you miss this step, you must delete the item and start over to save as FMV = none.
- Price: Enter a placeholder value > 0. Will be edited to reflect correct amount for individual orders.
- Display to Public: No
If Supporters are paying in person or over the phone:
- Click the Add Item button on the Gala Check-out or Manage Order Screen
- Search and Select Shipping/Handling item
- Enter correct price
- Add Item to Order
- Continue with Add Payment as usual.
If Supporters will be paying via Cart or Self Check-out:
You can customize your Online Cart form to provide instructions and an option to arrange shipment prior to payment:
Create Custom Field for Buyers
Go to Admin > Site Settings > Customize Your Site > Custom Fields:
Add New Field Group (not shown):
- Name = Shipping Option
- Hide Name on Forms = Yes
- Apply to: Buyers > Check-out/Cart Screens
Add New Field:
- Name = Shipping Option
- HIde Name on Forms = Yes
- Field Type = Plain Text
- Text example: If you need your items shipped to you, please choose "Arrange Shipping" from the Payment method dropdown menu.
Setup Custom Payment Option
Go to Admin > Site Settings > Payments / Credit Card:
- Click on Online Payment Options > Add Custom to Accepted Payment Methods for Online Transactions.
- Click on Custom and External Payments > Edit Custom Payment Name and Provide Instructions.
To Process Online Orders Requesting Shipping
Orders requesting shipping will display as Status = Waiting for Payment.
- Click on Common Filters > Online Orders Waiting for Custom Payment to filter Order list
- Click edit icon to review order and add Shipping Charge (as shown above)
- Once order is ready for payment, Send Invitation to Self-Check-out from the orders page.