With a professional subscription, you can run a Gala, or other real-time event, with some supporters participating in-person and others virtually.
These instructions are for fusion events with ALL attendees placing bids online (in-person guests via their smartphone). Use these instructions if you are planning an event where "in-person" guests enjoy a traditional Gala experience and bid/donate by raising their bid paddle.
- The event is livestreamed for those unable to attend in person.
- Virtual guests can watch the livestream, chat, bid, and donate from a single screen.
- In person guests watch the action live and can chat/bid/donate using a simplified interface (sans livestream) on their smartphones.
- Guests can check-out and pay online or you can offer in-person guests the option to check-out in person.
As always, our software makes it easy to adjust to future conditions: with just a few settings changes, you can move to a Virtual or In Person only event and/or to allow your guests to change how they want to attend at any time.
This article covers the settings and instructions that are specific to running a Gala Live Auction with both in person and virtual attendance. If your event will also include an online auction, be sure to review and incorporate these instructions in your planning as well.
Setting up Registration
There are two ways to register guests for a Virtual + In Person Event, plus a public option described in the next section (providing access):
A. Sell/Issue different ticket types to In-Person vs Virtual Attendees. Note: Tickets can be free, but if you wish to charge admission - you MUST use this option.
- Create Ticket Options for attending in person and attending virtually.
- Set up Online Ticket Sales and customize your registration forms.
- When you're ready to launch registration, Send Invitations to Buy Tickets.
- If a guest needs to change their attendance style: Go to Orders page and find their order > Click Edit Ticket link next to ticket you want to change > Select the ticket type you want to exchange to > Save. Any payment/refund can be processed immediately, or remain in their cart as a credit/balance due until check-out during the event.
B. Have ALL attendees use the signup form to register. This option is simpler, but does not support paid admission.
- To prevent confusion caused by redirects for recognized email addresses, your event site should NOT contain migrated or imported user records for potential guests. Instructions for removing migrated records. To remove imported records, go to Admin > Manage Users > Click on the Self-Import Users button > Click the Undo button for the desired import.
- Setup the Signup form.
- Promote registration by driving supporters to your homepage or direct links to Signup.
- Be aware that once a completed signup form is submitted, the user will be directed to any active online event page (Online Auction, Live Virtual Event, Voting Contest). If more than one are active, buttons are provided to choose where to go first. If you want users to be directed to the homepage instead, be sure none of the Online Features are "visible to the public" in site settings or Virtual Control panel.
Setup items for "Bidding via Virtual"
Go to Catalog:
Choose bidding via "Virtual Event Bidding" for all items in the Virtual portion of your event. Existing items can be edited individually, or in bulk.
Specify Attendance Option(s):
Go to: Site Settings > Events > Virtual Event > Attendance & Access to specify how supporters can attend your event.
Choosing one of the "bidding via smartphone" options activates the appropriate views of the Virtual interface (options with or without the livestream feed) and provides buttons to allow guests to choose or switch views as needed.
Providing Access to Bid:
Pre-registered guests: invitations to the virtual event provide a personal link for access and can be sent via Email or Text at Auction Night > Send Invites.
Each access point offers a choice of in-person or virtual view - and a button is provided on the Virtual interface to switch view if necessary (see below).
Public option: can be enabled to allow anyone to view the livestream (via a generic link) with a button to create an account if they wish to join the chat or place bids.
The easiest option for everyone placing bids online is to simply add the Cart Icon to the Bidding screens from the Virtual Control Panel when you're ready, then direct your supporters to click on the cart to review their purchases and pay online.
If you're setting up a Post-Event screen to display at closing, you can configure it ahead of time to display the Cart icon.
For in-person guests, you can send invitations to self check-out and/or offer in-person check-out.