Virtually all reports of missing text outbid notifications can be explained by one or more of the conditions listed below.
If none of the below explain a missing notification, please contact support with the details and we will research further:
- Bidder's name
- Item #/Name
- Which bid (as shown in the item bid history) did not receive an outbid text.
1. Confirm that Text Notifications are enabled (and were enabled at time bid was placed)
Confirm at Site Settings > Customize Your Site > Email/Text Messaging > Standard Text/SMS Settings
Note: outbid notifications are NOT cached for retroactive sends - enabling text notifications will only send future notifications.
2. Confirm that bidder has opted in to receive text messages
Confirm at Auction Night > Send Invites > Search for Bidder Name
If bidder has not opted in yet, instruct them to click on the personal link in their bid invitation again to return to the Online Welcome screen, or access their My Account page to edit their user information.
3. Confirm that phone number on record is a mobile phone and accepts text messages
Confirm at Auction Night > Send Invites > Search for Bidder Name (see above)
Editing the phone number in the phone column will update their user record.
4. Confirm that bidder was outbid
Confirm at admin view of catalog > click on the item name > bid history
Note: if a bidder submits a bid that is equal to or lower than the current high bid or existing max bid, screen messaging will display letting them know that their bid is too low and what the next minimum bid is.
- If your site is accepting Quick Bids, these bids are simply rejected with the messaging.
- If your site is using MAX bids, these bids will trigger auto-bidding on the existing Max bid and be recorded with a flag (outbid by existing max bid) to note that the bid triggered autobid but was never the high bidder.
In the example below - note that only three of the bids would trigger outbid notifications:
- Goofy's $40 bid triggered an outbid text to Happy Feet.
- Goofy remained the high bidder until Happy Feet bid $80 - triggering Goofy's first outbid notification
- Happy Feet received a second outbid notification when Goofy bid $100
5. Review the Item name for banned words
SMS providers block messages which contain words referring to illegal acts, including prohibited/regulated online commerce. The software attempts to strip out known blocked words in the item name to ensure deliverability - but the "known" list is ever-evolving. Review the item name for any terms related to drugs, alcohol (including wine), guns, gambling, or illegal activities and edit Item name if necessary. Please let us know if you find a word being blocked and we'll add it to our "known" list.
6. Instruct guest to text BIDNOW to 844-218-2243
If they do not receive an automated response to their message, their carrier is blocking our messages (which is beyond our control).
7. Contact Support if the above do not explain a missing text message.
In order to investigate, we need:
- A link to your site - preferably the item in question
- Item Name/#
- Bidder's name
- The Bid amount which did not trigger a notification