We need to handle images consistently to produce ideal file sizes and pixel ratios for our current uses while preserving our ability to resize them later for new uses without having to start from scratch. . .
First step is to manually crop the image to the desired ratio - while preserving maximum resolution.
Use this free image editor: https://pixlr.com/x/
Load image to editor:
- Drag and drop, or choose file to upload.
- Choose the maximum definition provided.
Rotate and Crop
- Rotate first, if necessary.
- Open Crop Window
- Enable "Select Aspect"
- Select 16:10 from dropdown of preset ratios
- Drag the pre-sized window from center of image (not edges) to desired location
Create PNG file
- Rename file to a user friendly name.
- Choose PNG format (this is important for quality and ability to support transparent backgrounds in future etc)
Update Attribution Spreadsheet
- Track new name, photographer name and original file name on https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TlS7tx2MtA27yk9FL1S102VVxVzguV96JfEBj1RY0XU/edit?usp=sharing
- The easiest way I found to capture the original filename was to right click on the image in the Original folder to copy
- Then right click in google doc to Paste Special > paste values only.