This article provides instructions specifically for Acorn subscribers. If you have an Essentials, Plus, or Professional subscription, see how to offset processing fees here.
Use the optional Offset Processing Fees feature to add and collect a surcharge on credit card payments to offset the processing costs.
The offset fee cannot be required as a condition of sale but can be set as the default choice, requiring action (unchecking a box) to opt out.
The feature can be configured to:
- Add a flat fee and/or calculate a % of the total charge
- Display with the desired text for the "ask" or explanation of fee on the payment form
- Display with the desired fee "name" on receipts
Note: The Offset is not electronically connected to the actual credit card fees charged by your merchant account but are set by you as a means of reimbursement for the fees banks charge. Do not expect an exact accounting match.
Go to Site Settings > Customize Your Site > Payments/Credit Card > Additional Credit Card Settings (requires Chair status to access).
Before setting up your Offset fee:
Be aware that the first transaction containing offset fees locks the rate - you will not be able to edit/adjust the rate after testing. Click the Help icons next to the offset fee fields for advice on determining the right offset fee for your organization.
Make sure you read and understand the "Important! Please Read!" notice that pops up on the set up screen:
Acorn subscribers who wish to offset 100% of platform and/or processing should use the following rates:
- Offset 2.9% WePay processing fees only: 2.99% + .30 per transaction
- Offset 3% platform fees only: 3.1% + .30 per transaction
- Offset 2.9% WePay processing PLUS 3% platform fees: 6.27% + .30 per transaction
Note: When choosing Offset Mode:
- Default - Yes works well for online transactions where buyers can see the "Ask" and are responsible for unchecking the box to opt out.
- For payments handled in person, it is better to choose Default - No to avoid inadvertently charging offset fees without consent, if the volunteer/staff person forgets to ask.
- You can change the Offset Mode, but NOT the offset fees specified as an edit midstream.